A collection of past STEAMworks and a full list of resources for families and educators.
Generously brought to you by
- Sunscreen: How to Help Protect Your Skin From the Sun this summer from the FDA
- Infant Sun Protection: How to Keep Your Baby Safe from the American Academy of Dermatology Association
- Celebrate the wildflowers you see this summer with activities from the U.S. Forest Service
- Hands-on science activities for your kids from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- STEM activities for families from NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- NASA at home for kids and families
- Free STEM games and simulations from the Smithsonian Science Education Center
- Explore and learn about famous works of art and make your own art with the National Gallery of Art’s free NGAkids Art Zone app for iPad
- Practice STEM concepts and learn about agriculture with farm games from the American Farm Bureau
- STEM tips for families with early learners: developing an early interest in STEM from the U.S. Department of Education
- Free Broadband for low income households
- Internet Essentials affordable internet at home
- National Museum of American History exhibit on American Democracy: A Great Leap of Faith
- Vote Poster and other History Time Videos from National Museum of American History
- CDC reports on the effects of COVID-19 on children
- NPR comic from leading experts to help you speak to your child about the virus
- American Academy of Pediatrics resources to guide discussions during this stressful time
- Guide from the NCTSN for dealing with the trauma and stress
- Meals for students (VA, MD, and DC)
- Common Sense Media Resources for Families During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Lyda Hill Philanthropies Educational Resources Round-Up
- Free, week-long virtual summer camps from Varsity Tutors
- IF/THEN® Collection, a digital library of photos, videos, and other media featuring women in STEM fields
- Resources for standing together against hate from the Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center and across the Smithsonian
- PBS's Teaching Your Child about Black History Month
- Indianapolis Children's Museum's List of Children's Books about Race
- Coretta Scott King Book Award Winners and Nominees from the American Library Association
- Talking About Race from the National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Talking to Children About Racial Bias from the American Academy of Pediatrics
- National Museum of American History The Star Bangled Banner Interactive
- Handprints of Your Family from the National Museum of Natural History
Museum coloring pages
- Watch a recording of Real-life Climate Action Heroes!, the live STEAM careers event National Children's Museum hosted on March 4, 2021, to discover careers in the fight against climate change and meet two real-life Climate Action Heroes!
- Wonderopolis encourages kids to get curious by posing intriguing questions as exploring them in a variety of ways.
- Institute of Education Sciences-Activities for Students Stuck at Home
- Families can access Brain Pop, educational games and videos, for free while schools are closed.
- Museum partner Nickelodeon’s #KidsTogether initiative uses beloved characters to engage with kids and families on tips for staying healthy.
- Keep learning in your place and at your pace with the Museum of Science and Industry’s Science at Home Resources.
- Watch a recording of Explore Engineering!, the live STEAM careers event National Children's Museum hosted on February 25, 2021, to discover careers in the field of engineering and meet two real-life engineers!
- Recycle and Play shares crafts and activities for kids using only recycled materials.
- Museum Arts and Culture Access Consortium's at home activities list.
- The Kennedy Center has launched Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems!, encouraging young learners around the world to draw and doodle.
- DC Collaborative Distance Learning Database is a compilation of online and printable arts and humanities learning resources for students, teachers, and families.
- JAPAN HOUSE Los Angeles virtual programs with topics ranging from art, design, architecture, fashion, and more.
- Dreambox is offering 90 days free and has great math games.
- Kahn Academy has free math learning plans to keep everyone learning.
the great outdoors
- DC Area Moms Blog 101 screen-free indoor + outdoor activities.
from the Museum
- Visit innerexplorer.org to discover a mindfulness program and mindfulness resources.
- Learn more about why mindfulness is an important tool in your classroom and how it relates to social emotional learning.
- Free Zoom conferencing
- Free Online Classes and Resources for Elementary school students.
- Free amazing educational resources from Boston Children’s Museum.
- Common Sense Media Resources for Educators during the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Resources for Learning at Home When Schools Close (TNTP)
- Talking to Children About COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
- Education Companies Offering Free Subscriptions due to School Closings
- EducatingAllLearners.org experts have curated a list of credible and actionable resources paired with examples from the field of schools and teachers adapting ways of meeting student needs.
- Teach For America
- Over 100 free live K-12 classes from Varsity Tutors
- National Zoo Web Cams
- Metropolitan Opera On Demand
- Cherry Blossom Peak Bloom Cam
- National Air and Space Museum opportunity to transcribe Sally Ride papers
- The New Children's Museum
- Smithsonian Science Education Center
- Museums across the continent have come together to share their distance learning with you!
- Check out the online art contest from Big Screen Plaza in New York
- USA Today's list of children's museums online programs