make ice cream
Ready for the inside scoop? In today’s STEAMwork science exploration, we’re making (and tasting!) a yummy experiment. You’ve got this one in the bag, dreamers!
the science behind making ice cream
- ½ cup of heavy cream or half and half
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 quart-size plastic bags
- 5 or more cups of ice
- 1 gallon-size plastic bags
- towel or gloves
- 1. Measure the cream, sugar, and vanilla extract into the quart-size bag. Remove the extra air and zip it up tightly.
- 2. Place the ice cream bag in a second quart-size bag to reduce the risk of spills. Zip up tightly.
- 3. Fill the gallon-size bag with ice. Add the salt. Put the sealed smaller bags inside. Now zip up the larger bag.
- 4. Shake and shake the bags to make ice cream! It will take about 5 to 10 minutes until the cream hardens.
- 5. Take the smaller bag out of the larger one. Eat the ice cream right out of the bag!